Unlike fossil fuels, solar energy is free and due to last for millions of years, and the heat it delivers to the air or ground can be captured by technologies such as Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP), Ground Source Heat Pumps (GSHP) and Solar Panels (PV).
Heat pumps are highly efficient, for every 1KW of energy put in, they typically deliver between 2.5KW and 4KW of output – ie. 250% to 400% efficient compared to a typical gas boiler which is only 90% efficient.
There can be a big reduction in the carbon footprint, in some cases to zero where Solar PV is used to power other forms of renewable technology.
Solar Energy is free An ASHP can be more than 50% cheaper than Oil or LPG heating including the cost of installation. * A GSHP can be more than 40% cheaper than Gas heating including the cost of installation.* * based over 7 years and including applicable RHI payments
If you are convinced about the benefits of renewables then why not consider making use of more than one renewable on a project?
Powernatually specialise in bringing together different technologies to give added benefits.
Air Source Heat Pump + Solar PV
- PV power can be used to run the ASHP for part of the time
- PV power can be diverted to heat the hot water in the summer when the ASHP can be switched off
Air Source Heat Pump + Solar Thermal
- Solar Thermal heat will provide hot water for most of the year – reducing the demand on the ASHP
Ground Source + Air Source + Solar PV
- Use the GSHP to heat the home all year round – providing the lowest running cost
- Use the ASHP for a specific task such as pool heating
- Use the Solar PV to support heating the hot water and other appliances in the home
In each case RHI or FIT payments would be available for each technology although it will necessary to meter the output of each to determine which technology is contributing at the different times.
Powernaturally will consider key design requirements to ensure that each technology can work together, be controlled easily and visibly, and contribute heat and power at the right time at the lowest cost.